(+61) 8 8337 4441 

Facebook Instagram linkedin Youtube

RTO No. 40879 | CRICOS No. 04213K 

AUCTUS Consulting Pty Ltd
Health and Wellbeing

Health and Wellbeing



Who to Call in an Emergency:
If you need to report an emergency at any time in Australia dial 000 from any phone for fire, police or ambulance services.


It is wise to think ahead with the most important information which will help them to respond. Where you are (note street names and the closest intersection); what has happened and to whom; what their condition is. 


The operator may then ask you to stay on the phone until the Emergency Services arrive. In life threatening situations the operator may also give you some instructions to assist until the emergency unit arrives. If you are concerned about your English, remain calm and work with the operators who are very experienced with all cultures.


Lifeline-Crisis Support:
Lifeline’s 13 11 14 telephone service is staffed by trained volunteer telephone counsellors who are ready to take calls 24-hours a day, any day of the week from anywhere in Australia. Lifeline is a national charity providing all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention services. 


These volunteers operate from Lifeline Centers in every State and Territory around Australia. Anyone can call Lifeline. The service offers a counselling service that respects everyone’s right to be heard, understood and cared for.


They alsoprovide information about other support services that are available incommunities around Australia. Lifeline telephone counsellors are ready to talkand listen no matter how big or how small the problem might seem. They aretrained to offer emotional support in times of crisis or when callers may befeeling low or in need of advice.

Poisons Information Line:

The poisons information line provides the public and health professionals with prompt, up-to- date and appropriate information, and advice to assist in the management of poisonings and suspected poisonings.

The seriousness of a poisoning situation is assessed after a detailed history is obtained from the caller. Members of the public may be then given first aid instructions, information on possible symptoms, and advised on the need for assessment by a doctor or referral to hospital. The Australia wide Poisons Information Centers have a common telephone number: 13 11 26.


Medical Emergencies:
If a person is seriously injured or ill, call an ambulance immediately on 000. Be ready to provide the following details:
  • Service required - Ambulance
  • Your name
  • Location
  • Number of people involved and
  • Details of the medical emergency including if the individual is conscious and breathing
Contact an Auctus staff member who will escort or direct the Ambulance/Medical Personnel to the site of the emergency and arrange for First Aid to be provided in the interim.


What to do when you are Sick:
Choose a doctor (a General Practitioner or ‘GP’) from the list of medical facilities found locally online and phone the GP’s surgery or medical centre to make an appointment. If you have woken in the morning feeling unwell and would like to see a doctor that day, you will need to phone the doctor’s surgery early in the morning (8:00am – 8:30am) for an appointment. Please note however, that it may not be possible to get an appointment on the same day - you may have to wait a day or so before you can see a doctor.


When you attend your appointment, the doctor will ask you questions about your health and may give you a brief physical examination, such as checking your breathing, your throat, ears and so forth. The doctor will then give you some advice regarding management of your illness and may give you a prescription for some medication. 


If you have had, or need to take time off, studies you will need to get a ‘medical certificate’ from the doctor to provide to Auctus. If your illness is more serious or the doctor is unsure of a diagnosis, she or he may refer you for further tests such as blood tests, x-rays, or to see a specialist doctor. 


If you are dissatisfied with the diagnosis or service of the doctor you see, you have the right to obtain another opinion from another doctor.


Public Hospital Waiting Times:
If you cannot get an appointment with a GP and want to go to a public hospital to see a doctor, you may find a public hospital which has a general practice clinic attached. If not, and you attend an emergency room to see a doctor, be prepared to wait a long time. 


It is not uncommon to wait more than 3 hours, and at some hospitals you could wait as long as 5-6 hours to see a doctor. It is common practice for a doctor or a nurse to make an initial assessment of your condition when you first arrive to prioritise the emergencies in the hospital. You will be seen as soon as the most urgent patients have been attended to. 


It is also common to remain in the emergency room for some time after a doctor has attended to you before you are instructed you can leave. Emergency department rules may include keeping you a little longer to observe you and ensure that your condition does not change, and that it is safe to send you home with the recommended treatment. It is the same for all patients – international students and Australian citizens alike.


Medical Health Services

Drug, Alcohol and Smoke Free Environment:
In recognition that the consumption of alcohol or drugs, or other substance abuse, by workers and students may impair their ability to perform tasks correctly and/or in a safe manner, Auctus  has adopted a zero tolerance approach towards performing certain duties whilst under the influence of such substances.


No students are to attend Auctus campus whilst under the influence of alcohol or other non-prescription drugs.


Auctus maintains a smoke free workplace. Regardless of potentially lesser state legislative restrictions on required distance from a building entry, Auctus has adopted a policy that smoking and electronic cigarettes is not permitted within 5 meters of any entrance to Auctus premises.


GP surgeries do not have medications to dispense to you. You must take the prescription given to you by the doctor to a Pharmacy or Chemist to obtain the medication. You will need to provide the pharmacy with your OSHC card, your full name and address.


You are able to walk in off the street to any pharmacy or chemist in Australia and should only have to wait a short while for your prescription medicine to be prepared.


Health & Wellbeing Fact Sheet

Click here to download the International Student Health & Wellbeing Fact Sheet.